Friday, September 11, 2009

Jersey Lime Pie


For the crust:
1 1/2 cups graham crackers (about 6 whole crackers worth)
5 tbsp melted butter

For the filling:
3 large egg yolks
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp lime zest
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes worth)
2 drops green food coloring
Whipped cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a food processor, break up the graham crackers until they are like sand. With the machine on, pour in the melted butter and blend until all the crumbs are coated in butter. Turn out into a 9-inch pie plate that has been liberally coated with non-stick spray. Press the crumbs evenly on the bottom and sides and bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat the yolks until they are thick. Beat in the sweetened condensed milk, zest, lime juice and food coloring. Mix until well combined.
Pour into the pie shell and put in the fridge until the pie is set - 4 hours or more. Top with whipped cream and enjoy.

*Oh. My. Gosh. Can I just tell you how much I love this pie? I am a HUGE fan of Key Lime Pie, but since I am Jersey Girl, I am using Jersey limes instead of Key Limes, which can be hard to find. Unless of course, you live in Key West. I love the color of this pie, I love the sweet and sour flavor of it, and I love that you can see the little flecks of zest in the pie. It's just great. Of course, if you're not a lime fan, you could always use lemons, which makes kind of a lemony cheesecake-like pie. And of course, use yellow food coloring instead. Making the graham cracker crust yourself is so easy - there's no reason to buy a pre-made one at the store. I don't know one mom that doesn't have graham crackers on hand, so there you go! Try this out, it's so simple and so flavorful. You will love it. (And you want to know a secret? I made this pie entirely for myself!)

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. Psalm 136:1

0 comments:

New Jersey Fresh - Downhome Jersey Cookin'   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP