Thursday, September 24, 2009

Beer Battered Tilapia


1 bottle beer (dark brews work best)
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
4 tilapia filets
Cornstarch for dredging
Oil for frying

Mix together the batter ingredients in a large bowl until well blended and there are almost no lumps. Set in the fridge for 15-30 minutes. Season the fish with salt and pepper, and dredge in the cornstarch, shaking off the excess.
Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet to about 350 degrees. Dip the fish into the batter, enough to coat (NOTE: this batter is thick and sticky! Make sure you shake off the excess batter!) Carefully drop the fish into the hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown and crispy.
Drain on a wire rack with a paper towel underneath. Serve with your favorite dressings, and enjoy!

*I had so much beer left over from going to the Giants game, and I didn't know what to do with it. I'm not a big beer drinker, and so I was trying to think of recipes that use beer. Beer batter is a great way to use beer. The batter doesn't necessarily taste like beer, but it makes a wonderfully thick and tasty batter for the fish, or whatever you're frying. This batter works for fish, shrimp, and even onion rings! So, if you've got some beer lying around in your fridge, go ahead and try this batter out...you won't be disappointed!

So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. Hebrews 10:35-36

1 comments:

Svenn

Since moving to Alaska I have had occasion to eat/cook many a fish fry. Mostly Halibut or Ling Cod (because that's what I catch when I go out) but always delicious. I never pictured myself as a fish-fry guy...

Also, I like to throw a good amount of dill in my batters, otherwise pretty much the same.

New Jersey Fresh - Downhome Jersey Cookin'   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP