Friday, August 28, 2009

"Not Exactly" Chicken Kiev


4 chicken breasts, pounded flat
2 eggs
3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 small bunch basil leaves, chopped fine
1 small bunch parsley, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt & pepper
Olive oil for frying - about 1/2 cup

In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, the juice of 1/2 the lemon, 1 egg, the spinach, the herbs, garlic, salt & pepper. Stir to combine. Place the mixture back in the fridge.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper. Mix well. In another small bowl, beat 1 egg.
Place the ricotta mixture on the flattened chicken breasts, and roll the chicken around the ricotta mixture. Secure the ends with toothpicks.
Dip the chicken rolls in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs, being sure to shake off the excess.
Heat the oil in a large skillet or frying pan. Carefully place each chicken roll in the pan and fry on all sides until golden brown and chicken is cooked through.
Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese and serve hot.

*I called this "Not Exactly" Chicken Kiev because it deviates a little bit from a traditional Chicken Kiev recipe. I am a cheese junkie, so any chance I get to add some cheese to something, I am going to do it. I love the garlicky flavor and the hint of lemon you get with this dish. What I like even more is when you cut into the chicken, the cheese just oozes out and it is what I call "gooey-delicious." I hadn't made this recipe in a long time, and I forgot how much I liked it. It is a little bit of work, but it is totally worth it. I hope you like it as much as I do!

The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good. Proverbs 15:3

0 comments:

New Jersey Fresh - Downhome Jersey Cookin'   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP