Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Grandma Walter's Broccoli Rice


1/2 of a small block of Velveeta cheese, cut into pieces
1 cup milk
1 cup white rice
2 cups water
1 head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
Salt & Pepper

OVEN 375 degrees
Cook the rice with the 2 cups of water until all the water has absorbed into the rice.
Meanwhile, in a double-boiler or in the microwave, melt the cheese with the milk until it makes kind of a cheese sauce. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked rice, broccoli pieces, and cheese sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the rice mixture into a baking dish or oven-proof bowl and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Bake for about 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.

*This is a classic Walter family recipe. Grandma Walter gave me the recipe when Evan and I got married, which was so special to me because this was one of Evan's favorite dishes. Over the years, I have gotten better and better at making it (though I will never compare to Grandma!) and Evan still gets excited every time I make it. A friend of mine once said that he thought this dish was just a clever way to get kids to eat broccoli. He's right! Hiding bits of broccoli in cheesy, gooey rice...very clever indeed. I hope you enjoy this dish just as much as our family does.

Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10

2 comments:

Holly

This is by far my favorite grandma walter recipe!!! I'm so glad you posted it, because now I have it too! :-)

Svenn

This is my favorite Grandma Walter recipe too! For a long time this was the ONLY way I would eat broccoli. I also had trouble spelling it correctly, go figure. Thank you spell check for making look smarter than I really am.

New Jersey Fresh - Downhome Jersey Cookin'   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP