Friday, August 21, 2009

Chicken & Vegetable Stir-Fry


4 chicken breasts, cut into about 1-inch cubes
4 tbsp cornstarch
2 large carrots, sliced thinly on the bias
1 cup fresh snow peas
2 cloves garlic, mined
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oil
Red pepper flakes (optional)

In a large, zip-top freezer bag, toss the chicken with the cornstarch until well coated. Heat the oil in a wok or in a large skillet (a wok is best, though). Carefully drop in the chicken and immediately start stirring with a wooden spoon to cook all sides of the chicken pieces. Once you no longer see any pink on the chicken, toss in the carrots, snow peas and garlic. Keep stirring!
Cook everything until the vegetables just start to get soft. Carefully pour in the soy sauce and stir again to coat everything with the sauce. Cook until sauce begins to thicken, chicken pieces are cooked through, and vegetables are soft. (If you are using red pepper flakes, add them just before serving.)
Serve immediately over rice.

*This was my first time using my wok, and I loved it! The wok evenly distributes the heat through the whole pan so the food cooks quickly but evenly. One tip for this recipe though - do NOT use ANY salt!! The soy sauce has enough salt in it and will make the dish plenty salty. If you wish, you may add a little bit of ground pepper, but no need to add any salt. This dish was really fun to make. If you don't have a wok, go get one! A skillet will get the job done, but it's just not the same. No need to order Chinese take-out anymore, because you can make it at home!

I said to the Lord, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." Psalm 16:2

3 comments:

Svenn

You know what they say: "In the kitchen, Wok don't run"

But seriously, I love my Wok, I have been cooking with it for years (Beth is not allowed to touch it).

For a different twist, try throwing the rice (cooked of course) into the wok at the very end for about 3-5mins- easy fried rice!

Aubrey Lynn

Svenn,
I am thoroughly enjoying your comments. Keep 'em coming!!
Lotsa love,
Aubrey <><

Svenn

I am thoroughly enjoying your blog, so we are even:)

I just wish I had time to try all these recipes!

New Jersey Fresh - Downhome Jersey Cookin'   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP