Friday, July 31, 2009

Homemade Tortilla Chips


1 pkg soft tortillas (corn or flour), cut into wedges
Oil for frying (try corn oil)
Salt

Pour enough oil in a cast iron skillet to come about half-way up the pan. Heat the oil until it is about 350 degrees.
Carefully drop in the tortilla wedges and fry until they are crispy and golden brown.
Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs, drain on a wire rack over a paper towel. Season with salt immediately.
Serve with you favorite salsa and enjoy!

*I am a big fan of tortilla chips, but I am NOT a big fan of paying close to $5.00 for a bag that ends up being only half-full of them. I discovered I could make my own by accident. I was trying to make empanadas, and it just wasn't working out, so I just threw in the tortillas by themselves. Turns out they were better than any chip I could ever get from the store! I also make my own salsa (recipe coming soon!), and these go great with that. I hope you try it yourself at home and love it as much as I do.
(If you are a fan of those chips that have a "hint of lime," squeeze a little fresh lime juice over the chips before you salt them.)

For nothing is impossible with God. Luke 1:37

0 comments:

New Jersey Fresh - Downhome Jersey Cookin'   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP