Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Grandma Fleisher's Meatballs


(Best made the day before - but still tasty the same day!)
2 lbs ground beef
1 egg
1 onion, minced fine
1 tsp each salt and pepper
1 12 oz bottle chili sauce
1 10 oz jar grape jelly
3 tbsp lemon juice (bottled is fine for this, but fresh is always best!)

Combine beef, egg, onion, salt & pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix, then shape into meatballs (if you have a meatballer, use it - it assures all the meatballs are the same size and will cook evenly).
Stir together the chili sauce, jelly and lemon juice in saucepan, bring to a boil, then drop in meatballs (carefully!). Simmer until meatballs are cooked through. Chill overnight and reheat the next day (skip this step if you wish to serve them in the same day).

*Another childhood favorite, Grandma's meatballs are a great comfort food. This was one of the first things I learned how to make when I started cooking. Since then, I have experimented with different meatball recipes, and the original has come out on top every time. This is a dish that brings me back to my younger days every time I make it.
This is also great as a party food - it doesn't have to be for dinner. Make the meatballs as directed, put them on a platter, stick a pretty toothpick in them & voila! Perfect appetizers. I wouldn't recommend using ground turkey, since the meat is too soft, and the meatballs will fall apart on you.
I hope you enjoy my family recipe!

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. James 4:10

2 comments:

Svenn

I have the same problem with ground beef that you mentioned with the turkey. With some of the "cheeper" (ie. higher fat content) meat, my meatballs fall apart. I use bread crumbs to to help the eggs hold them together- any thoughts?

Aubrey Lynn

Breadcrumbs are a great way to hold the meat together. Not only do they act as a binding agent with egg, but they hold in all the nice tasty juices inside the meatballs, so it makes them nice and tender. What I did for this particular batch of meatballs was combine 1 1/2 lbs ground beef with 1/2 lb ground turkey. Worked fine...as you can see!

New Jersey Fresh - Downhome Jersey Cookin'   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP