Thursday, July 16, 2009

Aubrey's "Rhappleberry" Pie


1 recipe for a 9 inch double pie crust (or store bought pie crust, if you're lazy like me)
About 3 medium-sized apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh rhubarb
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup AP flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for crust
2 tbsp butter
Egg wash for the crust

In a large bowl, toss the fruit with the lemon juice, and vanilla. Sift together the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Add to the fruit mixture and toss to coat.
Pour the mixture into the crust, dot with butter.
Make a lattice crust for the top of the pie, being sure to seal edges. Brush egg wash over the crust and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 50-60 minutes until crust is golden brown, and fruit is bubbly and soft.
If crust gets too brown, cover with foil. Let cool, and enjoy!

*This pie is one of my most proud accomplishments to date. I do not claim to be a baker by any stretch of the imagination. I am WAY better at cooking than at baking. But on a recent trip from NJ to Chicago, IL, Evan, our friends Karl & Steve, and I stopped at this stumble-in restaurant called "Clay's" somewhere in Indiana. They had this stuff called "Rhappleberry Pie." Evan had told me about it from last year's trip, which I wasn't on. He said it was the best pie ever. He was right. It was gooood. After tasting this best pie ever, I was determined to duplicate the recipe at home - knowing that I'm not a good baker. So, I asked the waitress to tell me the ingredients, and I would figure out the rest at home. She kindly did, and I was officially on a mission. I found a similar recipe online and tried it out, substituting the ingredients to match the Rhappleberry pie. It came out good. Not what I wanted, but good enough. I tried it again, this time switching out some more ingredients. Success! It was so good - Evan ate nearly the whole thing. The second time I made it, I made it with a crumb topping instead, and that was much better than the pie crust topping. But, you can try it as many times as you wish and hope you have as much success as I did!

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22

2 comments:

Svenn

Sounds delish. Inquiring minds want to know, what is egg wash?

PS. I envisioned the culunary version of white out as in: "put two tablespoons of salt instead of two teaspoons? No problem, add some egg wash and everything will turn out just fine... Try our new fast drying egg wash for quicker results. Results may vary see box for details, not available in Maine, New Hampshire......." :)

PPS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_wash

Anonymous

Sorry for any confusion readers! Egg wash is quite simple. Take one egg and beat it with about 1 tbsp. of water. Then simply brush it over the top of your pie crust for golden brown goodness!
Good luck! ~Aubrey

New Jersey Fresh - Downhome Jersey Cookin'   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP